This week I have been on the hunt for lobster recipes which would be fun to serve as part of a Thanksgiving feast. The below pumpkin lobster mac and cheese recipe, from Life Tastes Good, is simple, savory and one of the few recipes I have found which combines pumpkin and lobster. While the recipe may seem a little out there for some, the ingredients used are excellent compliments to lobster. I have made a few modifications to the original Life Tastes Good recipe - adding a dash of nutmeg and removing the peas (peas are great with lobster but I'd serve them as a side dish - more elegant).
Pumpkin Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (or onion)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder, to taste
- 1 pinch paprika, to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg, to taste
- 3-4 dashes Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- 1 lb cooked lobster tail meat, chopped
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (optional)
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- Cook pasta as directed. Drain and set aside.
- If you like a baked mac and cheese preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and grease a 9x13" casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet and cook shallot until lightly browned.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon flour into butter and shallot to form a paste
- Slowly whisk 12 ounce can of evaporated milk into flour mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Add 8 ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese and 8 ounce container of mascarpone cheese and stir until melted into sauce.
- Stir in 1 cup of pumpkin puree, a pinch of garlic powder, a pinch of paprika, a pinch of nutmeg and 3-4 dashes of Sriracha into the sauce. Be sure to taste after each addition and add more if needed.
- Gently mix in 1 lb lobster meat and the cooked pasta and cook until heated through. If you like a creamy mac and cheese you can eat it just like this right off the stove-top.
- For baked mac and cheese, transfer pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes until top is slightly browned.